Jumpstart’s Read for the Record is on October 4th, presented in partnership with the Pearson Foundation.
Jumpstart is a national early education organization that helps at risk children develop language and literacy skills they need for school. One of their largest programs is Read for the Record in which schools, libraries, organizations, and parents pledge to read the same book on the same day nationwide. Last year 2.2 million people participated!
Bright Horizons is one of this year’s Pledge to Read sponsors in the Chicago area. They are joining the Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Public Libraries, Chicago Children’s Museum, Chicago Parent and many children-focused businesses throughout Chicagoland (and the United States) and pledging to read “Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad” by David Soman and Jacky Davis on October 4th.
Want to participate?
- Read your kids “Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad” on October 4th! Check the book out at your local library, buy it at a bookstore, read it for free online, or check out this link for more options.
- Sign up to “Pledge to Read” on the Jumpstart website. You can pledge by visiting http://www.jstart.org/campaigns/pledge-read and clicking “pledge to read” to log how many children you will be reading to. (Don’t worry, if you skip the survey, your pledge to read is still counted.)
- There are also readings at various locations:
- October 4 – Bright Horizons at the Atrium – 10:30 am. The Ladybug Girl character and Tommy Hawk from the Chicago Blackhawks will be there to read and do some fun activities with us.
- October 4 – Lincoln Park Zoo. Readings at the Farm. 9:30, 10:00, and 10:30 am
- October 4 – Chicago Children’s Museum at Navy Pier. 5:00 – 8:00 pm
- October 4 – All 80 branches of the Chicago Public Libraries – times vary by location
- October 9 – Whole Foods Schaumburg – 10:00 am
Want to win the book?!
Bright Horizons has offered to give away 2 copies of “Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad” to Kidlist readers! Enter to win below…